I love Spring. There, I said it. Now I’m sure I’ve jinxed it for everyone and we will go straight into summer weather but I don’t care. I love spring. I love the soft greens of the tree buds, the apple blossoms, the smell of the breeze and the tree frogs talking in the woods. I also love love love my lilac bush. It is planted outside the back corner of the house and so when you sit in the 3 season room, you smell it wafting in. I cut some branches and brought them in the house and that made me decide to create a card with similar colors. Here’s my card, and my lilacs.
Some cool stuff going on with this card. I was reminded of the Shaving cream technique a few weeks ago while at church I saw the kids coloring Easter Eggs using shaving cream. First, that is genius and so much easier and better smelling than dipping in vinegar. Then I remembered making card backgrounds years ago with shaving cream and re-inkers.
- Spray shaving cream onto a paper plate and smooth it out a bit with a knive.
- Drip re-inkers into the shaving cream. I used Pool Party, Wisteria Wonder, Pear Pizzazz.
- With the knife, drag it through the shaving cream to pull the ink into it. Don’t over do it or it will turn muddy looking. You want some stripes or marbling effect in there.
- Then lay a piece of whisper white cardstock right on top of the shaving cream. I wore rubber gloves so I didn’t have hands the same color as my card.
- Lift the card stock and wipe it with a paper towel. You can dip it again if you want more color. One plate of shaving cream can be used several times and each one will turn out differently.
I heat embossed images from Butterfly Basics on top of the background after it was good and dry. Then I added cut flowers and leaves from the same colors using the Flourish Thinlits dies. My card class made two of these cards this weekend and they were thrilled with the results.
Here’s another version.
Thanks for stopping by today.